I feel really good right now. Better than I have felt in a while. I’m a little sun burnt, and my muscles are sore, and it’s just heavenly. The weather has finally been nice enough that I have done 2 hikes and 2 bike rides in the past four days. It’s amazing how acting not pregnant makes you feel not pregnant. Don’t worry, I haven’t had a single contraction or a single sign of pre-term labor. I feel wonderful!
Friday, Bethany took us on a new hike in Salt Lake County. I was excited because we have sort of worn out all of the Utah county hikes. Also, if I am going to write a guide book about hiking with kids someday, I probably will want to include Salt County hikes too. So, it’s not hiking, it’s research. So bear with me or skip it, I’m going to write a little about the hike itself so I can have record somewhere:
This hike started at the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon off of E Little Cottonwood road in Sandy. We hiked as far as Lower Bells Canyon Reservoir but the trail continues all the way up Bells Canyon. There are lovely granite rocks everywhere (same granite as the SLC temple), which made it a challenging hike for 2 year olds. As the bird flies, it was only about 1/2 mile to the reservoir, but I would put it closer to a mile with bends in the trail. Not sure how long it took to get up to the reservoir, but it took 40 minutes to come down with half of it carrying the kids. This portion of the trail is not shaded. The trail is too steep and rocky for toddler/preschoolers but would be just fine for a little older child. Interesting things about the hike are the granite rocks, the reservoir (with ducks and fish) and the view of the mountains and the city below. For wildlife, we saw a humming bird, spotted towhee, some kind of warbler, ducks, Canadian goose, rolly polly bugs and a squirrel. The Bells Canyon hike is very popular. It’s about 4 miles to the upper reservoir with a two beautiful waterfalls along the way. The canyon is apparently notoriously dangerous because of how many hikers have gone missing or fallen and died. I’m not sure if the canyon itself is that dangerous or just that so many people (inexperienced?) hike it, it’s more likely for bad things to happen. I may have to hike it someday without kids to see what the deal is with it.
Today, we went for a bike ride along the Provo River (Geneva Road to the Lake). It was amazingly beautiful. I’m so thrilled to be finally done with winter. I was glad to have Colin there to pull Jackson in the bike trailer. The river was scary high—the highest I’ve ever seen it before.
1 comment:
we will have to check that hike out - my parents live in Sandy right in between little and big cottonwood canyons so we visit there frequently :) That is so nice that you have been able to hike and bike ride! Nicole was sitting so low that in my 3rd trimester I had to be careful what I did or I would start having contractions - its amazing how each pregnancy is different! Oh and I love the doll house!
Post a Comment