Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Garbanzo Tomato Curry

In an attempt to broaden my cooking horizons and cook more meatless dishes, I am trying out some new recipes. This one used some spices that I have never cooked with and now my house smells like a Indian restaurant (which is a good or bad thing depending on who you are). I think this recipe is really good if you like garbanzo beans. After the initial purchase of the spices, it is really cheap too. I used about 1/2 the cayenne pepper and it was the perfect hotness. The recipe also came with a yogurt sauce, but since I'm not much for yogurt sauces I didn’t make it. I can imagine it tasting a lot better if the beans were replaces with potatoes or meat…..

DSC_0040

1  onion (8 oz.), peeled and chopped

1  tablespoon  minced fresh ginger

2  cloves garlic, peeled and minced

1  tablespoon  vegetable oil

1  tablespoon  curry powder

1  teaspoon  cumin seeds

1/2  teaspoon  mustard seeds

1/4  teaspoon  cayenne

2  cans (15 1/2 oz. each) garbanzos, rinsed and drained

1  can (14 1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes

Salt

 

1. In a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium-high heat, heat vegetable oil. Stir onion, ginger, and garlic in oil until onion just begins to brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Add curry powder, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, and cayenne and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

2. Add garbanzos and tomatoes (including juice). Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, to blend flavors, about 5 minutes. If mixture is thicker than desired, stir in a little water to thin. Add salt to taste. Spoon into serving dishes.

 

Hooray for fiber!

1 comment:

msm said...

That looks yummy.