Our original plans for the 4th were to go camping Friday Night. I had envisioned a very relaxing and peaceful camping spot with lots of shade and not a soul to be seen. Well, I forgot that I live in Utah, and such a soul-less place probably doesn’t exist here, especially on a holiday. The backside of Squaw Peak was crawling with people.
After a couple hours of searching, we finally found a place to call home. As dusk grew near, we started to hear “pull!”, then bang, bang, bang, bang! Nothing ruins a quiet peaceful camping trip quicker than when the people camping next to you have several shotguns and a whole lot of ammunition.
Normally, we probably would have just ignored them and waited it out, but Jackson hadn’t had a nap for several hours and it was past his bedtime. If I was a little braver, I would have found our shotgun wielding neighbors and said “Excuse me, can you keep it down, I’m trying to get my baby to sleep” but I probably would be dead right now.
Not knowing how long they were going to be shooting, we made the decision to pack up and leave. This was extremely frustrating because we had spent so long looking for a camping spot and worked hard to set up camp because it was several yards uphill to the campsite.
I would write a whole post on my opinions about people who are inconsiderate, but that would be obnoxious. For now, I will just say that people shooting guns over and over in the forest where there are other campers just made “the list”.
Putting all that negative stuff aside, it was lovely to be in the mountains. Jackson thoroughly enjoyed himself. He played a lot in the tent because he was safe from the bugs and the sun. We did a little Dutch Oven cooking and a lot of relaxing.
Because Jackson’s sleep schedule got so messed up, he woke up at 6:00 in the morning. This meant that we got to go the Freedom Festival hot air balloon launch. Neither of us have ever been in the Provo area for the 4th, so we get to see some things for the first time. Jackson really liked the balloons and all the people. We went downtown and checked out the booths and colonial village. We watched a wing of F-16’s and two Apache Helicopters fly over for the Stadium of Fire. This was the first year I didn’t watch the fireworks. We opted to put Jackson down at his normal bed time. I was sad to miss the fireworks, but it turned out Jackson slept really well last night so I guess it was worth it.
One last picture:
3 comments:
Ooooh, Awwwww, Ohhhhh, Wowwww!!! Pretty pictures!
As good as the Albuquerque balloon fiesta.
Cool pictures. You can keep Jackson in a tent even when you are not camping.
Post a Comment