Thursday, January 13, 2011

Confessions of a non-reader

I have a confession to make. I don’t read very much. Specifically, I don’t read books very much. I read news articles a lot and I read lots of people’s blogs, but I am straining to remember the last book I read cover to cover. At this point, many of you may be gasping in horror, but the rest of you are thinking “what’s the big deal?”.

The big deal is that I married into a family of prolific readers and book lovers. I am so inspired by them, somewhat envious, and even a little insecure about my “nonreadingness”. I have always wanted to be a well-read person. In the past couple of years, I have tried to pick it up, but I’m embarrassed to say how many books I have started but not finished. I’m not just talking about reading the first few chapters and quitting. I was more than half way done with Lord of the Rings when I stopped.

 

When I was in high school honors English and AP English, I read many of the great classics: Red Badge of Courage, To Kill a Mocking Bird, A Tale of Two Cities, Crime and Punishment, 1984, the unabridged Les Miserables, etc. I loved reading all of them. Then I went to college and got a science degree with a science minor. My one required English class was a technical writing class so no reading required.

 

I can think of a few barriers to me reading more. The first is I would rather be playing outside, but since it is miserably cold, now seems like a good time to read.

The second is that I have a weird quirk that I am turned off by anything trendy. If I find something I like, and then learn it is trendy, I’m okay with it. But if I know there is something is super popular right now, I will go out of my way to avoid it. A good example is the Twilight series or the Hunger Games series. Is this completely irrational? Probably. I have no doubt Hunger Games books are good. Can I bring myself to read them? Nope.  

The third barrier is that if a book is any good, they make it into a movie. Once I have seen the movie, it’s highly unlikely I would be able to sit down and read the book. I know, the books are always better than the movies, but the motivation to keep reading and find out what happens is gone.

I think the solution is to work harder at finding books I am sure to like. I think I may need your help for book or author suggestions. Here are some guidelines of what I like.

  1. No romances, especially no teenage romances *shudder*. If a book has some romance in it, fine, but if the main point of the book is that Girl A has to choose between Guy B or Guy C, or if Girl D and Guy E just can’t seem to ever get together until the 2nd to last chapter, then probably not the book for me.
  2. Big fan of science fiction. Not a fan of fantasy. Before someone calls out my hypocrisy, yes, I love Lord of the Rings and have no good explanation why I am okay with that, but other magic-related books are not for me. You want to make me miserable? Make me watch Van Helsing. Just ask Colin.
  3. Mysteries are good. I loved Tony Hillerman and read all of his books. I also like Louis L’Amour, so apparently I have a thing for the southwest. 
  4. Historical Fiction is good.
  5. I liked Michael Crichton, so any book that has an extra dose of science in it is good.
  6. One the one hand, preferably not a book written for young-adults, but on the other hand, not a book with really graphic stuff in it. I won’t read Dan Brown’s books for this reason. Colin was kind enough to warn me.

I hope that’s not too picky. I feel like I am being too picky. I just don’t want to start another book and not finish it. Please, I want your suggestions!   

10 comments:

Jenn said...

Ha, I hear you on the trendy thing. I lucked out and got introduced to both twilight and hunger games before they were big; Harry Potter, however, I refused to read for years until I gave in and of course enjoyed them (But still think they are overhyped). And I will never watch a movie without reading the book first if I suspect I'd like the book.
Unfortunately most anything I'd recommend has, at one point, been trendy. If you like Science Fiction, try the Ender's Game series.
Historical fiction, you might enjoy Pope Joan by Donna Woolfolk Cross (ok, that one is kind of romancey but I don't think romance is the point of the book). I always recommend Princess Bride to people- yes, I knwo there is a movie, but the book was actually written by the screenwriter of the movie and while they are similar, the book is a delightful read.
http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/355200?page=1&shelf=read&view=table has every book I've ever read plus my ratings, but I'm not a picky reader at all. Good luck!

Melissa said...

So I have a couple suggestions, you can take them or leave them, doesn't matter to me. I also use the website goodreads.com to get ideas for books from my friends. But here's two you might like:
-The Beekeeper's Apprentice (this one has Sherlock Holmes in it but the protagonist is a young girl - it is also a series, I've only read the first one but enjoyed it, maybe more than the original Sherlock Holmes)
-The Help (this is historical fiction about African American nannies around the time of the civil rights movement and has some characters that are very vivid and enjoyable)

I don't think I have any real sciency ones that I know of but that's not really a genre I've delved into I guess. But I completely agree on the teenage romances; those drive me nuts.

Karen said...

Some of my all-time favorite books are the Great and Terrible series by Chris Stewart. It's a little bit like Tom Clancy for Mormons because there's a lot of military stuff. The first book is set in the pre-existence and if that sounds too weird then just skip that one. I liked them because they made me think "what would I do if...."

The Stewart said...

The Goodreads website is fabulous for finding things that are in your criteria. Also, one of my most favorite books is "The Book Thief". It is a book about WWII from the perspective of Death. AMAZING book. Seriously worth a read!

Purcellville said...

Oh Katrina! You make me laugh! I love reading your blog and your pictures are sooooo pretty! Keep taking care of yourself~!

Jo said...

Oh yay, I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses goodreads.

Chinese Cinderella is one of my favorites (sort of biography). 1776 is another good history one. Since we both enjoy the same classics, I liked Tess of the D'Urbervilles (yes, it's a romance, so you might not like it, but I did), The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Prince and the Pauper, anything by John London, and A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. I also agree that if you haven't read Ender's game, you should. I have lots of good books if you ever need to borrow one

KB said...

R church books an option? Wrk & Glry if u skipped the movies. But there's a bunch more...children of promise, fishers of men, etc

MC said...

So I enjoyed reading other comments and getting book ideas. I have a few authors I like. Agatha christy and Mary Higgins Clark for mystery. I like Clive Cussler - adventure catergory I guess. Some books I have lilked are The Help, Life of Pi, Secret Life of Bees. The last two were popular a few years ago so I don't know where that stands in your critera. Some of my favorite mind candy books are the Mrs. Pollifax series by Dorthy Gillman.
Good luck becoming a reader!

lap said...

Cant pass this one up. You're obviously short on time and want to read something worth your time. Try biographies-even those written for kids. Jennie Churchill, First Ladies, 6 great scientists, Fremont,etc. Short stories are good too. Hillerman and __ compiled Great Short Stories of the 20th Century (Don't know the exact name). Tolstoy and Dostoevsky have good ones too. Re-read to Kill a Mockingbird, Jayne Eyre and other classics. I liked Life of Pi and Night and some others already mentioned.

Anonymous said...

i don't have any super suggestions...i just pick up and read whatever looks good.
I'm with you on the trendy books. I too have refused to read the twilight and hunger games series.

With that said, I LOVE reading. i am currently reading 5 different books. Seriously. and loving all 5 of them.

My favorite is a non fiction i saw at big lots for $5. not trendy, but incredibly good.

the others, the womanly art of breastfeeding 2) healthy sleep habits, happy child. 3) baby wise 4) babywise II 5) the art of deception (my favorite so far).

When i was pregnant, i read A LOT of natural child birth books. All very good.