I am on the compassionate service committee at church, which means I help or try and find other people to help when someone in the ward has a need. I have joked that in our ward, the default solution to something bad happening is to bring that family meals. Dog died? We need meals!
Well, I was almost finished with cooking dinner today (chicken alfredo and broccoli) when there was a knock on the door. One of the sweet sisters in the ward was here with dinner for us. I blurted out “I didn’t know anyone was bringing us a meal” which I instantly regretted saying because it made the situation awkward. The Sister was very gracious and stayed to talk a few minutes, which I really appreciated.
Many of you may think that I am overreacting, but I am horrified by this situation. I am sure the Sister could smell our dinner cooking. When she asked how I was doing with the miscarriage, I had to exaggerate and act like I was having a hard time so she would like she had done some good.
My big problem with this situation is that no one asked us if we needed anything, especially meals. I did have a conversation with a member of the Relief Society Presidency and I thought I was pretty clear that I am doing fine and I dare say that I am doing excellent under the circumstances. No talk about meals.
I love cooking! I love how my food tastes.I look forward to cooking dinner every day. Why couldn’t they have sent a sister over to do my cleaning ;) ?
I better make a call to see if there are any more surprise casseroles scheduled to show up.
2 comments:
I have to agree with you, they really should have asked before they just brought something over- even though they were trying to be nice. I would feel awkward too.
I am glad that you are doing well!!
I agree. I am in the R.S. Pres. and we always ask if people would like a meal, if they say no we respect their wishes. But that was sweet. You don't have to fix dinner tomorrow. I am so glad you are doing good. Love you.
Post a Comment