Sunday, September 30, 2012

Wyoming and a Birthday Boy (Weekly review: 9/24-9/30)

This week was dumb. Colin was gone from Sunday at 2:00pm to Friday at 7:00 pm. I don’t like it when he works out of town. He doesn’t like working out of town or having 64 hour work weeks. ‘Nuff said.

Here are some of Colin’s pictures from Douglas, Wyoming. (He’s at the drilling site. They are building some sort of oil processing facility)

HPIM2001 

I like the windmill in this picture. Colin passed by the Martin Handcart site on his way there and back.

 HPIM2003

Oil drill sticking up out of the fog.

HPIM2000

Drill rig and incoming fog. Colin says this was an extremely cold morning and he had to pull out his heavy winter work coat.

HPIM1998 

The good news was that Colin did make it home safely and that he made it back in time for Jackson’s 4th birthday party at the Ogden Dinosaur Park. It was a big success. I love the picture of him with his cake because that’s his real smile.

DSC_0275 DSC_0293

 

The cake I made was very “selicious” as Jackson pronounces it. I’m very excited because I do not fancy myself a baker at all. Box cakes are usually too dry and fluffy for my liking. So this is how you do it: with regular box cake mix, add an extra egg, reduce the water to 1 cup, put in 1.5 times as much oil (1/2 cup would be 3/4 cup), and a box of instant pudding (even if the box claims to have pudding in it already). Cheesecake pudding worked fine in my chocolate cake, I’m sure you could try any kind.

Saturday evening I went to our Stake Relief Society dinner and the General Relief Society broadcast. (All the women in our Church come together to watch and listen to the leaders of our women’s organization and modern day Apostles speak.) I am impressed with the new Relief Society presidency. What I really took from the talks is summed up by the quote “otherwise your faith will be in vain” referring to what Brigham Young said to the Saints in the Salt Lake Valley when he told them that they needed to help the handcart companies with the pressing and dire temporal need. Sister Stevens also said “It’s up to us to be wide awake to our duties.” What an amazing experience it is to do Heavenly Father’s work, to serve and bless his Children. I was reminded how important it is to take care of ourselves (physically, spiritually, financially, emotionally) so that we can take care of others. For example, if I’m having a blah day where I don’t want to clean or get dressed, eat junk food and just hang out on my lap top all day, of course I am not ready and able, or even in tune with the Spirit to help another Sister in the ward. Sometimes the thought of having all my ducks in a row, not to mention helping another Sister seems overwhelming, or even impossible. I suppose that’s where the faith that they talked about comes in. If we put our faith to the test, Heavenly Father will magnify our efforts and we will be blessed and will be able to bless those around us.

The last pictures are from a little project I did today. Remember, I only like to do craft if it’s free, I have all the supplies already, and doesn’t create extra clutter.

Annie loves these dish detergent buckets . She loves to put her little dolls in them, along with other toys. So I’ve had this ugly Finish bucket in our toy container.  I printed out some line drawing pictures I found on google and colored them and pasted them on the bucket. Now her bucket is a doll house. Sort of. If I’d had some, I would have covered it in contact paper so it would last longer. I’m willing to bet $20 that one child or the other will take a marker to the bucket by Thursday.

DSC_0316DSC_0324

No comments: