Remember when you were a kid and the big catalogs full of toys would come out before Christmas? We would pour over those books and methodically pick out one toy from each page that we would get if we could. Being grown up (almost), I guess my wants have subdued and we are resigned to live a happy life of moderation. I budget big time, uses coupons and shop at the D.I. for clothes and other things. But every once in a while, I think about what I would get if we had a few extra million. Don’t get me wrong; I feel so incredibly and amazingly blessed right now and very grateful for our financial situation. Just every once in a while, it is fun to dream. Here’s what I would get for Christmas:
1. Something shiny – Right now, I just have a gold wedding band and I do love it. It has engraved vines and flowers which matches my personality. I love it because I never worry about losing it or breaking it. I never have to take it off. We were poor college students when we got engaged and married and I couldn’t stand the thought of Colin spending money he didn’t have on something as frivolous as a diamond. So we got a $15 fake ring at the mall so I could look engaged, which was just fine. I do admire a shiny diamond ring and someday would like to get one. I think I would get something different like an opal because that’s just how I have to be.
2. A “log cabin” in the forest – log cabins these days are more like luxury homes, and that’s fine with me. Imagine waking up early one summer morning, eating breakfast, and watching a moose walk through your yard. I also think it would be a blast to have Christmas in a cabin, all snowed in, warm and cozy with family.
3. A Kitchenaid – this may seem like a silly one because they aren’t that expensive. Well, they are! Every time I look at these and see $250-$350, I think “that’s outrageous!” especially because I can handmix things just fine. So, this goes on the list, if I ever have a few million extra, I’m buying a kitchen aid.
4. Get a dog – not just any dog, some very large, purebred dog. This one isn’t only reliant on having extra money, but we can’t have little kids in the house either. I’m sure any of these dogs could gobble up a small child.
5. Plane tickets– There is so much I would love to see, but I need money (and no little kids in the house), so this is a someday one too. Here are some places I would go. To make it fun, I won’t tell you the locations and you can see how well you know your geography. I know the mountain ones will be harder. Answers are at the bottom. Let me know how you did! (It counts if you guess the country correctly)
1. Tibet
2. Banff National Park, Canada
3. Yuchatan Peninsula, Mexico
4. Torres del Paine National Park, Chile
5. Greece
6. New Zealand
So, what would you buy, what would you do, and where would you go if you had a few extra million laying around?
2 comments:
Well, I'd finish paying off our house, student loans, and set some aside in trusts for the kids. After that...travel, a cabin, an island (yes have our own island), give my husband the gift of never needing to work again, a nice pair of tennies (ones that cost more than $30). That's it. Honestly, I'm with you. I'm totally content where we are and with what we have, but dreaming is fun every now and again.
So after flying again recently I've decided that the Sky Mall magazines on airplanes are the adult equivalent of those Christmas toy catalogs. They have some crazy stuff in those from pans for the perfect lasagna to R2D2 robots that follow commands (unless it's in a bad mood), quote movie lines and act as burglar alarms. I have fun dreaming too, love your ideas too and I actually guessed half of the pictures.
Post a Comment