Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Journey Home

We are home after a lovely and relaxing week in Washington. On the way home we stopped in Boise and went to the Zoo. The last time I went to the Boise zoo, I was a teenager and the way I remembered it was that it was pretty lame. That’s probably because as a teenager, everything is lame. It was awesome. It’s up there with the Hoogle zoo, and it’s a couple of dollars cheaper. Some of the animals we liked best: Condors, Leopards, Snow Leopards, Sloth bear, Meerkats, Girrafes, Three-toed sloth—we had lots of favorites. Jackson loved it and kept talking about “zoo” and “amimals”.

Video 35 0 00 10-59

Video 37 0 00 02-40

Video 40 0 00 02-40

Silly Giraffe looking out the window at us.

We spent the night in Twin and today we set out to find the City of Rocks. We made one big mistake: we didn’t check the weather. It looked stormy in the direction we were heading, but a little storm shouldn’t ruin an adventure. It was snowing very lightly by the time we reached the mountains. The roads up there aren’t great, but nothing Rocky can’t handle. By the time we got to the city of rocks, it was a full-blown snow storm. We couldn’t see a thing. What I thought we would see:

image

 

What we saw:

DSC_0599

 

I suppose I idealized the trip a little bit. A lot. Now we all know: don’t go to the City of Rocks in March. Just like Mandy and I know: don’t go to the Canadian Rockies in the beginning of May. As disappointing as our little side trip was, it still a memorable adventure. It was nice to “see” someplace new. I know now how to get to the City of Rocks. We also saw a flock of sage grouse sitting in the middle of the road during the storm. If you can’t tell from the picture, they are pretty big, about the size of a small turkey. They looked pretty miserable in the storm. The picture below is what a male looks like when they are showing off.

DSC_0594 

image

 

It’s good to be home and now it’s time to catch up on life.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

They didn't have all those cool animals the last time we were at the Boise zoo. It was mostly native type animals. So you were correct in your lameness analysis.

Genny said...

I was going to scold you for not visiting me while in WA, but then I realized that you were quite far away... SO I"M NOT GOING TO SCOLD YOU!!!!