Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Girls

image

Mary Cassatt, Breakfast in Bed

I’m nervous about having a girl. At first I couldn’t put my finger on it, but I’ve figured it out. It’s not the pink stuff, doing girl hair, or playing house. I am scared of having another female in the house. Emotions are such an big part of how girls are hardwired because that’s what allows us to be compassionate, loving, caretakers. The same emotions can make us overly sensitive and temperamental. Male emotions are more simple and men tend to say exactly what the mean. Women communicate in code. A single sentence can mean so many things at the same time. The way we say it, what words we didn’t say, the look on our face—it all means something. I’ve gotten used to living with boys and it’s pretty easy. The only drama that goes on is the drama I create. The last time I lived with other females were my roommates at college. That wasn’t easy, and I had great roommates. I know it will be different and I won’t be giving birth to a 18 year old girl, but this is definitely the source of my apprehension. So, I need to not focus on the potential drama, but all the wonderful things having a girl will mean. I want to hear what you like best about having daughters!

DSC_0020

5 comments:

amy phillips said...

The part I like best about having a girl is what you talked about in your post. Girls can be compassionate, loving, caretakers. You will be surprised how early on your daughter wants to take care of you, her stuffed animals, and others. Not only that, but girls exude those qualities even as infants, thus making you love them even more.

Melissa said...

I can totally identify with this. I am nervous about having a girl someday. I could always picture myself having boys but not girls. Now I have a boy and love him to pieces but I can not imagine having a girl. Glad to know I'm not the only one nervous at the prospect.

Anonymous said...

My husband is adamant that the only drauma we'll have, is the drauma we create, and allow.
Since it's so far off, hopefully i can raise my daughter to avoid drauma.
"If you didn't like having drauma, then you wouldn't have it." -my spouse

Karen said...

You shouldn't be nervous yet - you never know what her personality will be like. My kids were surprisingly different for being twins, and didn't necessarily fall into the boy / girl stereotypes. We've held off a lot of the drama by spending lots of time together as a family. As long as family is more important than friends, the parents win! Once Ashley was a teenager we started having lots of mother-daughter dates, going shopping, to movies, etc. That's been the best part of having a daughter, all the one-on-one time with inside stories and jokes. That's what I'll miss most when she leaves.

Erin said...

Although our little girl is only 6 months old, I love having her around! She's my best little friend, sidekick, and is already aware when I'm sad and need snuggles. It's the best. I hope my little girl is my best friend just like me and my mom!!! Girls are great!