Thursday, May 13, 2010

Musings about College

I have been missing college a lot lately and not just the social life, but the actual learning. I think I might get my masters degree in something someday after my mommy phase in life. The problem is I don’t know what. There is a big gap between what I want to learn about and what I would actually want imageto do as a career. 

I got my degree in dietetics, which I loved everything about. Before I finished the program, I decided that I probably didn’t want to work as a dietitian. I think it is because I have a slight savior complex. I was so disgusted to find out the limitations of what I could do. What to you mean I can’t change everyone and save them?

In my perfect money and time are no object fantasy, I would complete various degrees just for the fun of learning and then try something new. If I could do that, here some my top 10 majors/degrees I would be interested in doing:

 

1. Geology

2. Food Science

3. Culinary Arts

4. Visual Arts – Studio Arts

5. History

6. Psychology

7. PE teaching/Coaching

8. Physical Science Teaching

9. Earth and Space Science Teaching

10. Nursing

 

Funny. I thought as you got more experience, you naturally narrowed down what you wanted to do. My list seems bigger than before I started college.

 

What would you major in at college if you could go back?

3 comments:

Genny said...

a spanish or russian teacher :)

Anonymous said...

In response your statement that you thought with experience, you would narrow down your list, much like, the more i learn, the more i realize i do not know, and desire to know.
I actually find that it's great to have the narrow field of knowledge i have, but there is SO much more that i'm clueless on.
I'd love to go back, but i've never thought about what i'd do if time and money were not the issue, or end goal.

Karen said...

BYU has some free online classes. I've started several but I've never gotten very far. At least I've learned a few things I really am not that interested in!