I hate surprises. Even worse than a true surprise is knowing that something is coming and not knowing what it is, or in my case, when it is. Colin would tell you that I am terrible to buy Christmas and Birthday presents for because I just need to know what it is. I even logged onto his amazon.com account to find out what he bought me. If that’s not an option, I will give Colin his present early in an attempt to get him to give me mine early. I am just no good at waiting.
What I am good at is getting my hopes up. Maybe that means I’m a positive person and find difficulty in thinking the worst. It makes life more pleasant, but I think in my current circumstance, realistic would be the better frame of mind.
I was genuinely convinced that this baby was coming this week. I saw all the signs. It made sense. It would be convenient because all my family is going to be here this weekend. So when I started having contractions every 8-10 minutes for over an hour last night, I got really excited. (I haven’t ever had braxton hicks in this pregnancy or the last.) We stayed up late trying to plan how the night was going to go. I gave a warning call to my sister and mom. I packed the bags. Then, as suddenly as the began, the contractions stopped. Mostly. I had enough of them the rest of the night to keep me guessing and wondering and awake.
Today, at my appointment, my still oh-so-positive self was ready to hear that I was dilated to a 3 or 4 cm and could go into active labor anytime. So you can imagine my disappointment to hear that I am still at 2 cm and only 70% effaced. I think reality sunk in when my doctor offered to set up an induction date; the dates he offered were June 12th and June 22nd. June 22nd?!? By that, I am guessing he doesn’t think this baby is coming anytime soon.
I said yes to the June 12th spot—that’s a week from Sunday. When we talked about it, it literally felt like an eternity away. Now it doesn’t seem quite that far away. It’s sort of nice to know that I won’t be overdue and have a 4th of July baby.
I apologize to everyone if I got any of your hopes up or if you were under the impression that you were going to get to meet Annie this weekend. I’ve learned my lesson. For now, I am learning to live with braxton-hicks and a healthy dose of reality.
2 comments:
You should name your baby Braxton-Hicks.
Braxton Hicks are the lamest thing ever. I feel your pain and frustration. Get your hopes all up, and then...nothing. At least you didn't go to the hospital and get embarassed that way. Good luck on the 12th :)
Mindy from High School, (blogger is being stupid and won't let me log into the right account)
Post a Comment