Sunday, August 23, 2009

Flaming Gorge & Rush Valley Drive

On Friday, Colin drove four hours to the Flaming Gorge area to “log a hole” for work. He met the drilling team in Dutch John. They are going to put a water tower on the spot. Here are some pictures Colin took of the area.

 

On Saturday, we went for a drive to the west desert past Eagle Mountain. I was driving for once and got a kick out of off-roading near the Pony Express highway.  We went up  Mercur Canyon which ended at security gate—the entrance to a Gold Mine. We checked out an old mining cemetery;there were no headstones, just piles of rocks. I couldn’t decide if that made it more or less creepy. (The ultimate awesome and creepy old cemetery is in Idaho City by the way.)  We went up to canyon next to this one, and discovered the town of Ophir. Ophir is another mining town and looks exactly like Eureka Utah, complete with old mining town replicas. We didn’t take a tour. The population of the town is about 23. We went up the canyon a ways towards some nice mountains, but I got discouraged because it was packed full of people with horse trailers and ATVs. You will notice there is no pictures of this adventure because I brought my camera, I brought an SD card, but my battery was dead. Next time, I will be better prepared.

No comments: