It’s only been cold and snowy for a week and I am already obsessing about the temperature, how many weeks till spring, thinking about taking trips to warm places, what I’m going to do when it’s warm again, and kicking myself for not having spent every available moment outdoors this past spring, summer, and fall. I know I probably don’t have real seasonal affective disorder—a doctor would probably diagnose it as mild cabin fever. None the less, it has only been a week of cold weather and I’m already stir crazy.
Here are a list of my strategies for making it through the winter. It’s a short list, so I am calling on all of you to give me your ideas of what a stay at home mom with a one year old can do to survive winter.
1. Playing “outside” - since its too cold to be outside for too long, Jackson and I hang out in Rocky playing. It’s warmer and we feel like we are getting some sun. Jackson likes pushing buttons and turning the windshield wipers on.
2. Trying to appreciate the beauty of winter – the snow is really pretty and makes the mountains look even more beautiful. I like how all the colors subdue to pastels in the winter. This was the view out my bedroom window this morning.
3. Celebrate the holidays – Thank heavens we celebrate Christmas in the winter. We really need such a joyous and special time to warm and brighten our lives.
4. Exercise videos – Arrghhh! I wish I had a better way to exercise in the winter…..any ideas?
That’s all I’ve got! What are your ideas?
4 comments:
Scott suggested playing at Cabela's.
The indoor track at the Legacy Center in Lehi. It only costs 50 cents and is a nice indoor place to exercise and Jackson would like watching all the people.
1. Go to a cheap indoor swimming pool nearby (that is... if you have one!).
2. Instead of buying Christmas gifts, try and make some. It will keep you entertained for a LONG time :)
3. You said you love celebrating Christmas. Make Christmas cards to send to friends and family. (This may not be your thing, I'm not much of a scrapbooker. But... it can be fun). You could even try making the Christmas cards on shutterfl.com.
4. Family history (CJ suggested that one!)
5. Read books. If you would like some quality book suggestions I would be more than happy to recommend some. And no, they aren't just the cheesy chick books. They actually provoke thought!!
6. Get a provident living book and learn to be more self sufficient.
7. Include Jackson in cooking some Christmas goodies. Then you could take them to neighbors.
8. Try to find some other ladies in your ward with children. You could swap babysitting once a week. For example... if you had four ladies getting together you each could take a week to babysit. Then on the weeks you don't babysit you could run errands, or go to the temple, or get together with the other 2 ladies that are having their time out.
9. If you don't want to do the babysitting swap you could get some ladies together from your ward or elsewhere and do things together. Like a small group thing. Ya know, like in relief society they do book clubs, or quilt making or something.
10. Dress your baby warm and strap him on your back like you would for hiking. Then go cross country skiing or snow shoeing.
11. I just posted some cheap date ideas on my blog, some would work for families. Check it out!
Hope these help! I really hope that they don't seem too Molly Mormonish.
Shayla
Buy a Wii. "Wii Warm Weather" is my favorite game.
Post a Comment