Monday, March 25, 2013

Running

I’ve been really excited about running lately—it’s been going so well. I have a goal to run 600 miles this year. That’s an average of 11.5 miles a week or 50 miles a month to meet that goal. I’ve run 117 miles this year so far. I am a little behind because of January. January was a really hard month to run in. I have to go early before Colin leaves for work so there was a few days where I was running in 2 degree temperatures and lots of days I was running through snow. Since the weather has warmed up and since I’ve signed up for a big race, my mileage has gone up quite a bit.

clip_image002

 

Most of my success from running is because I’ve changed my running form. Or I should say I changed back my running form. I think I used to run different in high school, and then I did a marathon and that changed my form to be more efficient, but not necessarily better. I had been having tendonitis issues from that and so a very good consultation with a running store person, a new pair shoes, and consciously running different and I am pain-free and worry-free. I’m surprised how easy it’s been to change my form. If you curious about how I changed, this video is describes it. I was heel-striking and now I am mid-foot or toe striking. They say one isn’t really better than the other, but for me it’s made a big difference for my knees/foot.

Saturday I ran a little Breast Cancer fun run 5k in Lehi. (I swiped the picture off the internet). It was very cold and there was an inch or two of fresh snow. They weren’t keeping track of times/winners but I could see there were only two women who finished ahead of me. I ran in it 23:49. I think it would be fun to run a 22 minute 5k…

No comments: