Jackson is not currently in preschool. He has a September birthday so I didn’t think he needed two years of preschool. He’ll do a year of preschool starting next fall before he starts Kindergarten in a year and a half.
I’m not consistent with how often I work with him on reading, writing, and math, but fortunately he seems to soak up what I do show him pretty easily. I don’t know what’s normal for a 4 year old to be able to do, but as his mommy, of course I think he’s brilliant.
Jackson responds really well to the little games I come up with to teach him how to read. One of the games he LOVED was I wrote sight words and taped them to different balls. Then I said, “Jackson, throw me the word ….” and he’d have to read and figure out which ball to throw me.
The other night I was making him a reading game and he said “I’m going to make you a reading game!” He went in the other room and came back with this. Then he told me to throw him the word “to”, “the”, and “park”. I love that he almost spelled all those words correctly.
Jackson is starting to love to work on projects—he’ll get papers, markers, tape, scissors, etc and try to come up with things. The other day, he kept talking about catapults and how he wanted to make a catapult to launch snow balls. So he started working on directions on how to build the catapult. You might be able to find the words “directions, colin, catapult (caopt), mommy, Jackson”
1 comment:
We are trying to work with Blake on reading too...maybe I will have to try your ball game with him :)
Post a Comment